Posted on April 2, 2018
Tether exists on blockchains through the Omni Protocol. The Omni Protocol is open source software that interfaces with blockchains to allow for the issuance and redemption of cryptocurrency tokens, in this case, “tethers”.
Tethers Platform currencies are 100% backed by actual fiat currency assets in our reserve account. Tethers are redeemable and exchangeable pursuant to Tether Limited’s terms of service. The conversion rate is 1 tether USD₮ equals 1 USD.
The Tether Platform is fully reserved when the sum of all tethers in circulation is less than or equal to the balance of fiat currency held in our reserve. Through their Transparency page, anyone can view both numbers in near real-time.
Tether initially supports US Dollars (USD), Euros (EUR), and soon Japanese Yen (JPY). Represented by ₮, tethers platform currencies are denoted as USD₮, EUR₮, and JPY₮.
– It allows people to use blockchain technologies without having to worry about the volatility of cryptocurrencies
– Has almost zero conversion fees
– Sending between Tether.to wallets is always free
– New tethers were released as ERC20 tokens and can run on the Ethereum network
– Unavailable in: New York state, Washington state, Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Syrian Arab Republic, Uganda, Vanuatu and Yemen
– It is uncertain if Tethers actually owns an equivalent amount of USD to the amount of USDT in circulation. Many speculate that Tether has been printing USDT to inflate trading volumes on Bitfinex (owned by the same founder) and manipulate prices.
The Tether network has been up since 2014.
Tethers has plans to implement Multisig and Smart Contracts and Proof of Solvency Innovations in the future.
Tether uses a Proof-of-Reserve in order to make sure that all USDT in circulation are backed by an equal amount of USD in their bank account.
Tethers is the only digital currency that is backed by fiat money.
Tethers is partnered with most exchanges.
USDT is traded on Bincance, Bittrex, Bitfiniex, Poloniex, Huobi, OKEx and Kraken.
The Tethers transactional ledger is embedded in the Bitcoin blockchain as meta-data via the embedded consensus system, Omni.
Reddit: 1 370 subscribers
Twitter: 15.2k followers
Jan-22-2018: 1.01 USD
Dec-2017: 1.01 USD
Sept-2017: 1.00 USD
July-2017: 1.03 USD
P.S. Sign here for our daily publications!
This document is intended for informational purposes only. The views expressed in this document are not, and should not be construed as, investment advice or recommendations.